T- bone collision in car accident. Severe abdominal pain, hernia, disc protrusion, high sugar. Can hiatal hernia be due to abdominal trauma?

Hi, I had a big car accident T-bone collision. Within 6 months, after accident I felt pain on touch throughout the chest and upper part of the abdomen.
After one year after the accident I started to feel severe pain in the upper abdomen. After detailed assessment were found the 3-discs protrusion in the middle of the back, GERD disease, Hiatal Hernia, and high level sugar in the blood. During the two - three years before the accident I was examined and found no any problems with my abdomen and health in a total.
Can a hiatal hernia be developed/caused as a result “blunt abdominal trauma” and/or "seat belt syndrome” trauma?

Thank you
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 14 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query

Hiatus hernia is also called as sliding hernia - The fundus or the upper most part of the stomach glides up through the natural diaphragmatic orifice. This usually occurs because of poor diaphragmatic tone or excess fat deposition in that area.

Technically a blunt trauma to the abdomen may cause a hiatal hernia if it injures either the diaphragm or the vagal nerve but it is quite uncommon. More commonly there can be eventration of disphram or herniation throgh inuries and rupture at other areas of diaphragm.

Inter-vertebral disk protrusion could have been due to the accident. But your other symptoms (GERD and High blood sugar levels) are not related to the accident

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please write back back to me if you have any doubts.

Follow-up: T- bone collision in car accident. Severe abdominal pain, hernia, disc protrusion, high sugar. Can hiatal hernia be due to abdominal trauma? 6 hours later

Thank you for your soon respond.

1.- Regards Hiatus Hernia:
I’m agreeing with your opinion.

2.- Regards GERD disease, and high level of the blood sugar I would like have some correction if it possible please.
Firstly, I did not mean that it was happen directly right a way from MVA.
Within one year after accident I made two time blood analyze, and was not found any evidence sugar in the blood, and GERD problem as well.
Otherwise, only after one year after accident I began suffering severe pain in my upper abdomen region and little bit later found high blood sugar.
Also for this period I had confirmation from neurology and psychology specialists that I have PTSD, and severe depression condition and was prescribed for Cymbalta, Amitriptyline, (Ramipril - because was found high blood pressure as well), Ativan, Axert and of course Rabeprazole.
My question is:
Could all mention symptoms/problems are caused/provoked by too much stress and depression that I got for this period?

Thank you very much for your time.
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 8 hours later
Hi and thanks for the clarification.

There is no particular association with GERD and Diabetes mellitus (DM).

Long duration of uncontrolled DM may be associated with reflux disease.

Stress can worsen GERD and uncontrolled blood sugar but does not by itself cause it.

Going this way stress can be a factor causing the symptoms, so is the depression.

Some of the medicines that you are taking may cause gastritis & nausea as a side effect.