Symptoms of having hypothyroid with large thyroid nodule but tests are normal. Can thyroid medicine help?
User rating for this question
I have several signs and symptoms of having a hypothyroid... cold intolerance(even indoors), mood swings, brittle nails, weight issues, mense issues(heavy bleeding), constipation, low stress tolerance(which is exact opposite of before) some times I have palpitations, no sex drive. I have a large thyroid nodule 3.5 cm with the last scan 7 mos ago. benign. my thyroid levels are on the normal to low end of the range. Previously I have had few mood swings, high stress tolerance, never was cold intolerant, weight was never an issue, these al started shortly after my daughters birth and she is 9. Would I benefit from a low dose of thyroid medicine? I have been tested for diabetes, and celiac to rule out since they run in my family...
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thyroid medicine wont help Detailed Answer: If your thyroid function tests as evidenced by blood tests for TSH and free T4 are within normal limits then it is extremely unlikely that your thyroid is abnormal. In such instances, thyroid medicine is unlikely to benefit you, even though you have symptoms suggestive hypothyroidism. However, there is a rare condition called Secondary hypothyroidism in which thyroid blood tests can sometimes appear normal. This requires special evaluation by a trained endocrinologist. Blood tests like Prolactin, TPO and TG antibodies help to distinguish between different types of hypothyroidism. I understand your thyroid nodule is under independent assessment
People also viewed
- Symptoms of thyroid resistance
- Ayurvedic medicines for thyroid nodules
- Pink jellyish discharge with major back ache
- Thyroid nodule cancer symptoms
- Benign thyroid nodule symptoms
- Uterus cramping and low back ache
- Missed period headache back ache dizzines
- Underactive thyroid and sed rate
- Cyst on back swollen making neck ache
- Underactive thyroid raynauds seronegative
- Symptoms of thyroid nodule growing
- Report thyroid ultrasound sample
- Smoker with cough neck back ache
- What are the symptoms of thyroid nodules?
- Thyroid red spots on skin