Ask a Urologist   »  

Symptoms of UTI, kidney pain when bladder is full. Pus and red blood cells in urine. UTI not confirmed. Advice?

I am 31 year old female with all the symptoms of a UTI I am also getting severe kidney pain whenever I have got urine in my bladder. I have a large amount of pus in my urine along with red blood cells, protien and nitrate. Several carefully taken urine cultures have come back with heavy mixed growth, but my gp is refusing antibiotics saying that a mixed growth is not a true UTI. Can a heavy mixed growth cause these symptoms?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

While you certainly may have a poly microbial infection the fact that you're having a significant degree of symptoms would generally lead a physician to consider very strongly the possibility of prescribing antibiotics.

In addition to prescribing a course of antibiotics there may be a consideration that you might have to visit with a urologist who can evaluate your bladder in urinary tract to see if there is anything which is contributing to these infections. Also an infectious disease specialist may be contacted to make a good recommendations as far as adequate antibiotic coverage.

My main concern is that you're obviously in a significant degree of discomfort and this is a general indication for treatment. I can certainly understand that you're dealing with a frustrating situation here. I would encourage you to again have a discussion with your primary care provider and if you do not feel that they are listening to you. You may request a second opinion from another primary care physician.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert