Symptoms. Severe diarrhea no matter what I eat. Weight loss

Question
Symptoms. Severe diarrhea no matter what I eat. Weight loss from 128 to 106 in 3 years. Severe exhaustion. Worsening cough over 8 months. Smoker for 40 years. Short of breath. Painful deep breaths. Dr said IBs d and post nasal drip. No chest X-ray for cough.
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need to stop smoking.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Since the diarrhea is ongoing, infectious cause is unlikely. Rather, it is more likely to be due to malabsorption or ailments like celiac disease. I would insist you go get a routine microscopy of stool done and to upload the report. I will be able to guide you accordingly. In the meantime, try avoiding ALL wheat and wheat related products (source of gluten) for a couple of weeks and see if it helps. It would also be advisable to avoid milk products during this period.

You need to cut down on your smoking. It is no wonder that you have a worsening cough. Unless you stop smoking, the situation would not improve. The post nasal drip is related. Steam inhalation would help. It is advisable that you visit a chest specialist.

Let me know if I could help further.