Swollen vein inside elbow and feeling discomfort. Should I be worried for cephalic vein?

my left inner elbow vein is slightly swollen and appears to be blueish in color, this started 3 wks ago i noticed from slight uncomfort feeling when i curled my sleeves on my shirt up, my left bicep and tricept area has been sore as well as my shoulder blade. There is no redness, large swelling in my arm, just small vein popping up when i stretch my arm out. If i lay down its not visible its only when standing and sitting. From my research it seems to be the cephalic vein, on the outside of my inner left elbow that i have the issue with. My blood pressure has been around 135/77 for last couple months. I have no health ins. so i was thinking just go to er and get all test done?
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 10 minutes later
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
Do not panic.This seems to be a trivial issue.
Do you go to the GYM and exercise?
If this is following a trauma then it will take time to heal.Usually loss of subcutaneous tissue makes the vein prominent.
If the prominant vein is not associated with pain,stiffness or local bruising there is no reason to panic.If the vein does not feel "cord like" then there is reason to worry.
Keep a close watch on the area and if something sinister appears then consult your doctor.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.