Swollen tonsil, knot in neck and ear. Taken Bactrim. What will ENT do?

ENT Specialist
I have one swollen left tonsil, a knot mid way down on my neck where you can feel your pulse and my left ear has a knot that is the size of a marble. I have gone to the doctor and they put me on bactrim antibiotic which hasn't helped. they have set me up with a ent apt. but its not till sept 11. I have issues feeling tired and dragging sometimes. I have gone to a ent before he looked at the tonsil and down my throat and said it was nothing just a slightly swollen tonsil but could feel the knot in my neck. My regular doctor felt the lump in my neck when i went in for my ear. the wierd thing is all these lumps are on my left side. was hoping for some advise to what they will do.
Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 22 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. This most likely a reactive lymph node.There are about 300 lymph nodes normally present in the head and neck region. They are normally not palpable. After enlarging during inflammation or infection they rarely regress to their normal size and then can be felt (palpated) but remain no-tender.

2. The best way to approach this concern is to first get a Neck USG (Ultrasound) done to identify the exact tissue which comprises the lump. This should preferably be done with a new generation 4D USG Scanner with Doppler. A FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) will usually settle the diagnosis. An excision biopsy is very accurate. You may also get a throat swab done. This should be accompanied by routine blood tests.

3. Most major diseases will have other constitutional symptoms such as weight loss, night sweats, unexplained fever, itching, multiple lumps and so on. Do you have any of these symptoms?

4.. I must emphasize that if there are no other symptoms, then the chances of any major disease is very low.

5. Insist upon a change in antibiotic, supportive medication such as anti-inflammatory, anti-allergics and medicated gargles.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Swollen tonsil, knot in neck and ear. Taken Bactrim. What will ENT do? 13 minutes later
I do occasionaly get night sweats, But is there anything that would cause ear lobe swelling and only one swollen tonsil both on left side, after taking antibiotics? The only symptoms I know about is occosional night sweats, feeling tired alot.What are the possible causes?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Local upper respiratory tract infection may cause the above symptoms.

2. Night sweats are usually harmless and of no significance if the cause such as a warm environment is identified.

3. Night sweats may also be a sign of an underlying illness. The list is exhaustive. Notable reasons that should be ruled out in your case are Stress, Thyroid hormone imbalance, Low Blood Sugar, Disordered Sleep Breathing, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease), Lymphoma and infections such as
Tuberculosis, Infectious Mononucleosis, HIV or Urinary tract infection.

4. You will need the help of a physician and the investigations mentioned in Point 2. above.

5. The most common cause in your case will be an infection.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.