Swollen tonsil, ear pressure, no redness or white patches, no pain, nasal drainage.

ENT Specialist
Swollen toncil on right side (looks like a size of 2 beans), so that I can notice it when swallowing. Slight pressure on right ear. No noticable redness on toncil or white patches. No pain on toncil.
Very slight ear pressure and nasal drainage (but no cold symptoms or fever or sore throat). The other ear and toncil appears to be normal.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 11 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. From your description it seems to be a mild right sided Tonsillitis and Pharyngitis. It may also be the beginning of a Tonsillo-pharyngitis, possibly due to a post nasal drip infecting or irritating the throat. This causes pain on swallowing.

2. The first thing that you should start is a medicated gargle. Maintain a bland vegetarian diet, take adequate fluids and rest.

3. Take a non sedating anti allergic like tablet cetrizine 10 mg once a day under medical supervision. Along with regular steam inhalation, this will reduce or eliminate your post nasal drip and help your sore throat recover. Your doctor may also prescribe antibiotics, decongestants, mucolytics and anti inflammatory medication.

4. A post nasal drip also flows around the inner opening of the Eustachian Tube (which connects the ear to the nose), leading to Eustachian tube dysfunction and the slight pressure in the right ear. There may also be a referred sensation to the right ear.
5. If the post nasal drip does not stop, a search may be made for the origin, which is usually from the sinuses.

6. Sometimes, when there is no infection or fever, these symptoms may be due to a chronic acid reflux.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.