Ask a Dentist   »  

Swollen tongue and lower gums, have anxiety, have not eaten anything new

I woke up this morning and the right side of my tongue is swollen. My lower gums on the right side of my mouth also feel swollen. I didn't eat anything new yesterday. I'm 36 and in good health and good shape. I do have anxiety but I don't think its uncontrollable. Also, not sure if this matters but my wife is 4 months pregnant with our first child.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later

Swollen tongue with swelling of gums is most commonly seen due to periodontitis or gingivostomatitis. This is due to inflammation of the oral mucosa and gingiva. It is common in young adults. It may be associated with prodromal symptoms (fever, malaise, irritability, headache, vomiting, lymphadenopathy) 1-2 days prior to local lesions. Usually there is a bacterial infection underlying it.

In gingivostomatitis, symptoms usually resolve with fluid intake, good oral hygiene and gentle debridement of the mouth. Use chlorhexidine mouth wash and avoid acid drinks, like fruit juices or fizzy drinks, or drink them through a straw so they don't irritate your mouth. Also avoid spicy food and sharp food and citrus fuits.

You can use topical ointments like numbing ointments, such as benzocaine (Oragel), anti-inflammatory (steroid) gels, benadryl allergy liquid mouthwash, oral preparations of steroids and vitamin supplement. Oral pain killers like Ibuprofen also help. But all these medicines are available under prescription and should be taken under a doctor’s guidance.

Your symptoms are likely to subside in 3-5 days. If they do not show improvement or you develop fever or pus points in the mouth then you need to consult your dentist for systemic antibiotics.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.