Swollen toe and foot with itching from ant bite. What is the care to be taken?

An ant bite x2 is still itching and a little swollen, on my toe and foot.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

Ants release small amounts of toxins which brings in a hyper sensitivity reaction, this causes the redness, itchiness and swelling. Do not worry, it will come down with time and medications
Please follow these advises

1. Wash the ant bitten area with a clean gauze and antiseptic cream
2. Avoid scratching the area, this will only aggravate the problem
3. A good home remedy to bring down the inflammation and especially the itching. Mix 1:1 ratio of glycerine and XXXXXXX milk. Apply generously. Another option is to apply calamine lotion
4. Anti histamine like levocetrizine work very well. It can be available over the counter else please XXXXXXX your doctor for a prescription
5. Watch out for fever, swelling of face, tongue and change of voice. In these cases go to the ER immediately

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no further queries please accept my answer

I wish you a speedy recovery