Swollen throat, have quit drinking. Head or neck cancer?

I'm concerned about alcohol and cancer. I just decided to quit drinking but I've been a binge drinking for 4 years. It started when I was 21 and then progressed until now at 25. I usually drink 1-2 liters of vodka a week as of lately. For the past 2-3 weeks I've felt like my throat is sort of swollen along the sides right under neath my jawline. I'm not actually seeing anything visible but I'm can feel a sort of tightness or pressure in those spots. Give my age and habits how likely is it that I've given myself a type of stomach cancer)? I know it varies for everyone. So far I haven't really had any other symptoms. My breathing is a little raspier but I can eat and drink alright. Also can I expect the swelling to go away now that I've stopped?
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later

With all given details, I don't think you have cancer. At your age cancer is less common.

The current swelling in the region of neck can be due to enlarged lymph nodes. It's common to have such nodes if you have any infection or inflammation in the surrounding region.

Such nodes are likely to resolve on their own.

If it persists then you can consider a visit to your doctor.

And for long term, it's not only cancer, but there are various health issues one might have to face if they continue heavy drinking.

Hope that answers your question.