Ask a Dentist   »  

Swollen throat, back of mouth feels like stretched out rubber.

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I feel like my throat/is swelling up When I feel the back of my mouth it feels like stretched out rubber.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 5 hours later
Your symptoms might be sugesstive of a oral submucosal fibrosis or an inflammation or a side effect of the medication xanax causing dry mouth.
If there is any correlation between the onset of symptoms and the start of treatment with xanax then kindly consult your physician for change of medication.
If this is a sudden occurrence then it might be an allergic reaction which might worsen to cause edema or swelling of lips, throat larynx and should be treated as soon as possible if you have any new symptom like breathlessness, choking etc
If this has been for a long time and you have had a history of smoking or tobacco intake then submucosal fibrosis should be ruled out by an ENT surgeon.
I would advise you consult your doctor for a thorough clinical examination and confirmation of diagnosis.Meanwhile you can try changing xanax as per your doctors advise and see the response.