Ask a Dentist   »  

Swollen sublingual veins with painful lump on it. Temporary relief by antibiotic. Any effective cure?

The sublingual vein in the left side of the bottom of my tongue has swollen up two three or four times it's normal size, it's visibly much thicker and protruding than normal and it's quite rigid which makes it quite painful.

There are two small lumps on the vein in the most swollen areas and near the floor of my mouth the vein is bent into a c shape and particularly swollen.

The swelling goes up and down randomly and antibiotics and anti inflammatorys seem to have reduced the swelling although it hasn't completely resolved it and it is still painful and sore.

Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 1 hour later

I appreciate you for sharing your reports with us.

After thoroughly going through your dental history and reports, I would like you to know that sublingual veins are very vascular, but sometimes due to blood stasis (reduced blood flow) blood accumulates within the veins causing swelling. Most common reason for this swelling is stress, anxiety and other emotional factors.

Also, sometimes due to prolonged herbal medication, swollen sublingual veins occur as a common side effect, and discontinuation of such medication is required.

Antibiotics and anti inflammatory medicines will provide temporary relief only, therefore do not overdose yourself.

I will recommend you to see your physician and get your blood pressure measured as potassium XXXXXXX diet is also linked to swollen sublingual veins.

Until then, try to stay calm, avoid stress related work, and perform warm saline rinses (3-4 times/day).

If you have any further queries, kindly write back to us.

I wish you good health.