Swollen sore throat, heavy and tight chest, cough. Reasons ?

hi I had a sore swollen throat bout a week ago then my chest started to feel really heavy and tight now im left with a cough and lost my voice feeling generally unwell. And my chest still feels heavy and hot and cold
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

The sore throat you had seems to be a viral throat infection which has spread to your chest causing these symptoms. It can be a viral bronchitis or pneumonitis.

It takes around 4-6 weeks for proper remission with proper treatment.

The best treatment for such symptoms is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) will help. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water helps a lot. Other than that, avoid eating indigestible, spicy, foods and meats and eat simple wholesome foods. Out-of-door exercise, sunbaths also help a lot.

You might need systemic antibiotics to deal with the infection you are having in your airways. You will have to consult your physician to get the best antibiotic and brochodilators prescribed for you. Steroids- both oral and inhalers might be needed for symptomatic relief.

If you have fever or the cough is worsening then it is advisable to get a X-ray chest done to rule out pneumonia as well.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.