Swollen scrotum with burning sensation, lower back ache, flu like symptoms. Had rashes on the thighs.

I am a 62 year old male, 6' tall and 280 pounds. I first developed an itch on my left inner thigh that was part of an atheletes foot problem (or so I thought).
I tried different jock itch creams.
Now my whole scrotum is swollen, accompanied by a burning sensation and low back ache.
I went to one doctor and he examined me and said there was no testicular tortion and the swelling might go away by itself. That was two weeks ago.
The itching is gone but not the swelling and the burning is worse. My whole body feels like I have the flu. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there. Thank you for posting your question here.

Your situation is complex in view of all your other chronic medical issues and in view of the fact that you are on so many necessary medications.

But let's cut to to the chase here. I think you correctly describe a fungal infection to inner thigh spreading to your scrotum. My impression is that you purchased some over-the- counter creams (jock itch creams as you have it) for this and that they do not seem to have worked. The fungal infection of your scrotal skin then went largely untreated and unresolved.

Now you say that the swelling and burning of your scrotum is worse and, most alarmingly of all, you have flu-like symptoms. It is these flu-like symptoms, more than anything else, that would concern me most.

It may well be that your fungal scrotal skin infection has progressed into a cellulitis or, in plane English, a bacterial tissue infection of you scrotal layers. You may be in fairly urgent need of an antibiotic and I would urge you to pursue this line of reasoning now.

I hope that I have been of some help and that you will accept this advise. Thanks again and good luck!
Follow-up: Swollen scrotum with burning sensation, lower back ache, flu like symptoms. Had rashes on the thighs. 48 minutes later
I have about 7 days of Augmentin 1000mg left over from a sinus infection. Will this work or do I need a topical antibiotic?

Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 11 hours later
Hi there. Thank you for your follow up question.

Yes, that Augmentin 1000mg would be fine for a start. However, I would be much happier to think that you were getting this professionally seen to now. It is potentially a XXXXXXX infection and needs hands on medical attention.

I am not trying to scare or alarm you but do think that you should see a doctor. Good luck.