Swollen rash, bruised due to scratching, took prednisone, spreads when scratched. Treatment?

I have a rash that swells and looks like welts or hives when I scratch. I have never itched this bad in my life. I'm covered in bruises from scrathing so bad. I went to the docter at a med clinic and they weren't sure what it was. They gave me prednisone and it went away but it came back a couple days after my prescription ran out. Cant afford to keep going to the doc so i could use some answers?????? It also seems to spread when I itch???/
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later

An excessively itchy rash spreading all over your body are suggestive of three main possibilities-

1. Scabies- it is a bug infestation and the main symptom is itching. An examination by dermatologist will help in the diagnosis.

2.Allergy- shows a typical red rashes all over body which look like hives or welts. It may be due to a food item you consume very often like gluten sensitivity. Try to remain on a gluten free diet for a few days and see if it gets relieved.

3. Eczema- Again itching, dryness and red rashes sometimes like hives appear due to itching. An examination from your dermatologist will confirm the diagnosis and will prescribe the drugs best for you.

Meanwhile you can apply calamine lotion and a steroid(cortisone) based antiseptic cream on the area for symptomatic relief.
You can also take Benadryl or Actified orally for the itching.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.