Swollen, puffy, red eye. Took steroid shot. Allergy symptoms?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
i VISITED AN URGENT CARE DOCTOR YESTERDAY FOR A VERY SWOLLEN AND PUFFY RED EYE, AND EYELID HE TOLD ME i WAS HAVING AN ALLERGIC REACTION TO SOMETHING BUT I HAVE NOT CHANGE ANYTHING I USE ON MY FACE...I HAVE BEEN SICK WITH A BAD COLD FOR 5 DAYS BUT BECAUSE i AM EXTREMELY ALLERGIC TO ANY ANTIBODIC HE GAVE ME A SERTOID SHOT..THE SWELLING DID NOT INCARSE DURING THE NIGHT BUT TODAY MY WHOLE FACE IS VERY BRIGHT RED AND KNOW BOTH OF MY EYES ARE SWELLING...WHAT DO I DO
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The symptoms that you have are likely to be due to Angioedema. It is an allergic condition characterized by swelling just below the surface of the skin, usually around the lips and eyes. During an allergic reaction lots of chemical mediators of inflammation are released, histamine is one of them, which causes blood vessels to swell. The cause is unknown, but certain food and environmental conditions can trigger an attack of angioedema.
It is usually caused by an allergic reaction, to food, medication, pollen or insect stings.
Steroids and avoiding the allergens are the mainstay of treatment. The swelling is likely to subside gradually. In case the swelling increases further then do consult your dermatologist for specific treatment. Splashing cold water on the face will also help.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.