Swollen pre auricular lymph node. Having horrible jaw and tooth pain. On antibiotics. Advise?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
I have a swollen preauricular lymph node. I have horrible jaw and tooth pain that is getting worse. yesterday was a 6. today is a 10. I have been on antibiotics for 4 days but the pain is getting worse. Can this swollen lymph node cause this pain? I saw the dentist and there is no tooth infections
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
pain is due to lymphnode swelling only

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Apart from antibiotic you need anti inflammatory drug too.
Your oral cavity has to be thoroughly examined for source of infection.
I give 2 antibiotics to my patients with similar complaints.
Wish you good health

Follow-up: Swollen pre auricular lymph node. Having horrible jaw and tooth pain. On antibiotics. Advise? 1 hour later
I had a bacterial infection on top of my ear from a blister that wouldnt heal. That is why they originally put me on the antibiotic. The ear is healing but the lymph node is not going down and the pain is worse. My primary care said he is not too converned because there is not fever with it (just a little earlier in the week) so he said to come in Monday if the pain is not better. I just find it puzzling that an ear issue could cause such pain.

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
lymphnodes take some more time to heal

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Lymphnodes usually get enlarged when there is infection in their drainage areas.
Sometimes,though the primary infection is healed,the lymphnodes will not.
They may become hard and may need surgical removal rarely.
Proceed as per your doctors advice

Follow-up: Swollen pre auricular lymph node. Having horrible jaw and tooth pain. On antibiotics. Advise? 7 minutes later
Ok thank you. I forgot to mention i also have lupus and when it first presented i had 10 very large lymph nodes in my neck and cervical area. I am in a delicate temission but i am guessing the lupus is not helping. Thanks for your input

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
get a lymphnode biopsy

Detailed Answer:
Hi
If the lymphnodes are still present,get a biopsy of 1 lymphnode.