Swollen parotid glands,hearing loss,swollen abdomen,asthma,muscle pain,sleeplessness. Are these symptoms of Lyme disease?

For at least the past year I have a ridiculous amount of symptons which stay with me. Swollen parotid glands. Loss of hearing with buzzing in my head. Swollen abdomen (look 6 months pregnant).Asthma and scarring at bottom of lungs. Uncontrollable weight gain. Muscle pain. Severe joint pain with no redness or swelling. Sinusitus. Severe acute chest pains (been hospitalised and no problem with heart, so probably a muscle thing again). Sleeplessness. Brain fog and short term memory problems with lack of concentration. Good days and bad days. Tender spots checked and positive for fibromyalgia, but does not explain swollen parotid glands (which are not caused by Sjogren or any blockage - had scan and maxillofacial check). Visited Canada a few years ago and went to areas which are rife with Lyme disease. Could this disease cause all these problems, which incidentally are not in my head as some people would believe. Other than Lyme disease what else could this be.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 4 hours later

You have reasons for most of the symptoms in the form of fibromyalgia and sinusitis. As I understand you are trying to get some ideas about the recurrent parotid swelling. Hence let us focus on parotid swelling and hearing loss here.

Diagnosis of parotid gland swelling is quite challenging. It is the one which functions normally right from birth till the end.

First, is it inflammatory or infectious swelling? It can be determined by some blood tests. An antibody test like ELISA & Western blot to detect antibodies against Borrelia infection. This rules out Lyme disease.

If this is just inflammatory and not infectious, then the following points:

Autoimmune diseases should be considered with blood tests like Anti SSA and SSB. Pseudosialectasis and Mikulicz syndrome are two such.

Granulomatous disorders like Sarcoidosis can be thought of. Scarring in the lungs and asthma is known combination with Sarcoidosis.

Why cannot it be a part of Fibromyalgia? I am unsure but you can post this question to the treating doctor.

CT Scan / MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) of the gland can detect few changes and can be of due help to arrive at a diagnosis. Though infrequent, parotid gland biopsy is done as the last resort.

The left out symptom is loss of hearing with buzz in the head. Sinusitis is a good reason but I am unable to explain it without an Audiogram. My knowledge is limited in this area.

I suggest a consult with a Head & Neck surgeon which I presume is not done yet. Check if you are on steroid medication as it can lead to weight gain and muscle pains as well.

Please use the answer clarification before you rate my answer.