Swollen painful legs. Poor blood circulation in one leg. Has pacemaker. Is vascular surgery advised for old patients?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My mother is 93 and has very swollen and painful legs. Test show she has no circulation in one leg and very limited in another. She has a pace maker and I believe they feel a vascular surgeon would hesitate to strip veins due to the anesthesia and her age. Any suggestions??
Posted Mon, 4 Jun 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Vascular surgery at her age with a pace maker fitted in her heart is XXXXXXX due to anaesthetic complications.
In such cases, going for a conservative management is the best approach. Mild cases of bad circulation usually require an aerobic exercise program, a healthy eating plan and a low dose of aspirin.

Treatment also involves making certain important adjustments to your lifestyle such as eating a high fiber and low fat diet, exercising regularly, losing weight and quitting smoking. Her doctor may prescribe medication to relieve the pain and swelling.
Increase the intake of water and eliminate refined foods such as caffeine, alcohol and sugar. Include low fat and high fiber in her diet to reduce cholesterol levels and improve circulation.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Swollen painful legs. Poor blood circulation in one leg. Has pacemaker. Is vascular surgery advised for old patients? 13 hours later
Thank you for your answer. My mom is and has for the past 8 years been living in an assisted living facility with professional care. They are utilizing all the passive preventive care techniques you mentioned. Beyond these, what are the odds that vascular surgery can be performed successfully realizing my mom's history. Are there any new or unique medical procedures that can be considered?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 53 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
All the vascular procedures will require anaesthesia which is associated with many anaesthetic complications. Palliative care is the only option left. If you are willing to take a risk of her life then your surgeon might agree for the surgery.
I am sorry there are no other medical medical procedures that can relieve her discomfort.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.