Ask a Dentist   »  

Swollen painful and raised bumps behind tooth. Pain in ear. Experiencing slight asthma. Any suggestion?

Dentist, Pedodontics
Hi there-

I think I have peicoronitis-- my bottom left wisdom tooth has been coming in and there is a raised bump behind the tooth, swollen and extremely painful. I am noticing pressure in my jaw and pain in my ears and was extremely nauseous yesterday and today. I am also experiencing allergies at the moment, so hard to tell if this symptom is from the allergies or something else, but am experiencing some slight asthma. I have medical insurance, but no dental insurance. What would you suggest I do and how urgent is the issue? Thank you!
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Amitabha Chakraborty 3 hours later

Pericoronitis from an erupting or half erupted tooth is painful. The swelling and the area of swelling that you mentioned is typically of pericoronitis and unusual for an allergic reaction.

Did you take aspirin like medicine to reduce your pain? - That may precipitate asthma like reaction.

This kind of swelling and pain can only be controlled by taking a course of antibiotic. But I will always advise you to take a local dentist's consultation. Though it doesn't warrant an immediate consultation, it is better to see the doctor at the earliest to avoid complications.

In India we prescribe Amoxicillin 500mg + Clavulanic acid (potassium clavulanate) 125 mg combination available as Augmentin (Glaxo) / Clavamox (Pfizer). It is given three times a day for 5 to 7 days. Your dentist can suggest you similar combination or an alternate regimen as per the protocols of the state.

For reducing pain you can safely take Paracetamol (Tylenol) 1000 mg as and when required, not more than three times a day. You can still use a warm salt water mouth wash for local comfort but never use a hot fomentation from outside.

Hope this will relieve your symptoms. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Get well soon

Follow-up: Swollen painful and raised bumps behind tooth. Pain in ear. Experiencing slight asthma. Any suggestion? 9 hours later
Thank you so much for your help.

In the mean-time, since I only have medical insurance, and not dental insurance, do you think it would be ok to first go to my doctor so that I can have an antibiotic prescribed and then go to my dentist at a later point?

I will need to take some time to save some money to pay for a dental appointment/possible tooth extraction.

Thank you again for your help-- I truly appreciate it.

All best,

Answered by Dr. Amitabha Chakraborty 2 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

You are right. You can contact your doctor to have some antibiotics and that will relieve your problem.

But that does not mean that it is totally cured. You have to visit a dentist later to find the actual reason that causing pericoronitis.

It is not always necessary that you have to extract a tooth, but the actual cause has to be eradicated; so that you will not suffer with this kind of pericoronitis repeatedly.

Hope this suffices. I will be glad to assist you further if you have follow ups.]