Swollen occipital lymph node, pain in the forehead, sore throat. Low BP and elevated pulse rate

Infertility Specialist
I have swollen occipital lymph node on right side, stabbing pain in right extremely sensitive right forehead slight sore throat right side. Dr had no explanation other than infection some where. Im going crazy with pain..
Pain started Thursday today is Monday. Have been running low 99.4 fever. Dr checked Friday and today no ear infection. Pain radiates up right side of head in back from occipital lymph node up to above ear.
No visible wounds, cuts etc. havent been sick recently, no cough, stuffy nose etc.
Low bp 90s/50s. Pulse up a bit 104 today.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

Lymph nodes usually swell when a part of the body is infected. Occipital lymph nodes that swell may therefore be an indication that you have a certain infection of the scalp or other neighboring regions.

Infections can be bacterial or viral in origin but research evidence also suggests that occipital nodes may swell when the scalp has a fungal infection. Aside from the swollen node, a fungal infection is also accompanied by some itchiness, scaling of the scalp skin and possibly even hair loss.

Some other scalp conditions that may cause the occipital nodes to swell include scalp ringworm infection, lice infestation, dandruff and tiny bug bites. Swelling may also happen due to neighboring area conditions such as infection of the ear, throat infection and rubella.

Since you have sore throat and running fever, it is likely due to throat infection. Please get your throat examined for congestion due to infection.

It seems likely due to infection and no other cause. Perhaps request for a course of antibiotics and acetaminophen from your ENT specialist.

I hope I answered your question. I will be available for any follow-up question you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
Follow-up: Swollen occipital lymph node, pain in the forehead, sore throat. Low BP and elevated pulse rate 1 hour later
the Dr checked my head no signs of scalp infection. No itching, burning etc. my ears,nose and throat all looked good.
I do get dizzy at times if my head is touched. And my husband and kids notice that my forehead in the sensitive area almost looks bruised altho I have no hit my head.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 39 minutes later

Thanks for reverting back.

You said you have throat pain and running fever. Fever is defense of body against infection. There is definitely an infection running in your body. Reading your symptoms, it is probably due to the throat infection you had. It needs a tongue depressor to see the congestion and infection. Hence I requested you to get examined by an ENT specialist.

If you feel that you are feeling dizzy quite often then there could be some intracranial pathology infection (though rare). If you convey your symptoms to the ENT specialist, he / she will be able to treat or refer you to concerned specialist.

I still believe a course of antibiotics and acetaminophen will help you to bring down your fever and associated infection. This will help in bringing down swelling of lymph nodes.

If still the swelling does not come down, you might need to get a biopsy of lymph node to see causative organism and any evidence of metastasis (rare though).

I hope I answered your query. Please close this discussion, if there are no further queries.