Swollen neck glands, sinusitis, FNAB to rule out malignancy

Where to start, about 3 weeks ago, I noticed that I had a sinus problem... to be a little grim, i had a alot of flem inbetween my nose and throat and had to really snort to get it out... After that i noticed that I had a clicking sensation in my throat... After prodding around I found that I had swelling next to my XXXXXXX XXXXXXX which I assume was a swollen gland. After a week or two the swollen gland got really annoying and I googled it... Obivously things like Lyphoma etc came up, which got me worried so I went into the walk in clinic. A day prior to my visit I noticed that I had another swollen gland, but this time behind my ear. The doctor check my out and said there was nothing to worry about and the swelling was due to my body fighting an infection. During the period of sinus problem to this doctor visit i had no flu like symptoms. Now I was a little bit unsure of the doctors diagnosis so I went to my regular doctor told her everything and she said that the glands were swollen from my sinus problem. She kept asking me if I had any fever / flu symptoms and I replied no. 3 days later, I started to get flu like symptoms (we are now 3 weeks into this) and I actually felt like I was going to have full on blown flu, but I never got it... during that day I felt fluey it went away... the next day i came back and went away again... The lymphnode behind my ear has gone down slightly, and the one in my throat has stopped clicking, but is still there... Im quite scared at this point... typing this... i feel dizzy... i feel achy and I feel worried. My sinus also feels better...

I really dont know why I feel like im about to get the flu, but dont actually get it.

The docs didnt prescribe anything to me, so Im not sure if there was cause for concern.

All I can say is, for the past 3 days my flu symptoms have been on and off.... which is strange.

I also suffer from OCD and anxiety.

Any ideas?

Thanks Kindly
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Swollen neck glands are most commonly caused by infections in the head and neck region.Lymph nodes swelling are one of the thing which inform us about the breach in immune system. It could have been breached by micro-organisms that is infection, continuous inflammation, hypersensitivity or uncontrolled production of WBC's like in cancer.
Mostly small lymph nodes are caused by viral infections which are mild in nature and wax and wane.Lymph nodes that are less than 1 cm in diameter are usually not a problem, even if they stay for longer than 3 months. These lymph nodes take time to disappear even after the infection is over.
To confirm the cause, a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) of the lymph nodes and swollen glands is the best test. FNAB is aspiration of the material of the glands which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe. This will confirm the diagnosis.
Till then just support your body with good hydration, high dose of vitamin C and a good night's sleep.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.