Swollen mouth, itchy, swelling of lips, suggested allergy to sulphur. What could be the reason for the hives?

I get hives once in a year but so far have not got any response on the reason of the same. I once had a dog bite and the dr treated the wound with Betadine - i seemed to have a reaction to this and both my legs swell up. the doc gave me a solution the last time i had hives that helped sooth the itiching but he wasnt able to point out a reason. I have also twice had an allergy that resulted in swelling of my lips - it started as a tiny itch and by the evening the entire mouth was swollen. One doc told me i'm allergic to sulphur. What could be the reasons for hte hives
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 51 minutes later

Thanks for your querry.

You seem to have Urticaria.

As you have only one to two episodes per year, there is no need to worry about it. Urticaria is considered as chronic only if it extends beyond six weeks continously. One episode of swelling you mentioned could be angio oedema which is a deeper form of urticaria.

Urticaria could be due to many factors like:
Inhalation of pollens.
Ingestion of colored items.
Instillation of eye drops.
Auto immunme diseases.
Idiopathic ie unknown reasons.

Each episode has to be assessed in detail for possible triggering factors. I suggest that you maimtain a diary so that you may by yourself find out the possible cause.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.