Swollen meatus and it burns while peeing. Had unprotected sex. Is it STD?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
So I have a swollen meatus and it burns when I pee. the swollen meatus started happening after I've been sleeping in the nude for about a week. The burning started happening after I had unprotected sex a few days ago. I'm not sure if the burning happened due do the irritation or not but I'm wondering if this is an STD or just an irritation that I just need to wait for it to clear up.
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Urinary tract infection

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic.
Burning sensation while passing urine indicates urinary tract infection.
Most common cause is bacterial infection. The next culprit is fungus.

I suggest you maintain personal hygiene and keep those areas clean and dry.
Drink lots of water which will help flush out the infection.

Application of antibacterial/antifungal cream over the inflamed area 2-3 times per day for two days will help reduce the burning sensation.

If does not reduce get a urine culture and sensitivity test to help your doctor prescribe the right antibiotics and treat you effectively.

Unprotected sex definitely predisposes for sexually transmitted infections.
Hence use of condom is a must during intercourse especially if the sexual history of partner is unknown.

Most common STDs present with discharge of pus from penis and genital ulcers or sores with rash.
You can undergo STD screening at an STD clinic if you are having any other symptoms other than burning pain.
Get in touch with your GP who can examine you and guide you regarding this.

I hope I have answered your query satisfactorily.