Swollen lymph nodes with fever, head ache and body aches. Had conjunctivitis. Diagnosis?

Infertility Specialist
Question
Last week I woke up with Conjuctivitis, after about 3 days it went away. The last day of the Conjuctivitis I had a fever(It felt low, I didn't check my temperature), head ache, and body aches. The fever lasted two days, and the body aches 3. The last day of my fever a lymph node in my left armpit swelled up to about pea size and was very tender. I went to the doctor two days later and he drew blood. The lymphnode was swollen for about four days, and then I could no longer feel it. A day passed and then a lymph node in my right arm swelled up. I'm fairly concerned because it seems as if swollen axillary nodes tend to be signs of something very serious. What are the chances of it being serious and what are the possible diagnosis for it?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 48 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Lymph nodes are there to defend us against infection. While doing so they increase in size. Sometimes after they have increased in size they remain larger than normal. But you lymph nodes have enlarged recently and after acute illness as you have documented it.

So your lymph nodes appearing and disappearing at different places after acute fever, cojunctivitis etc.. shows that your body is defending you against the attck your body is facing from infection. Hence please donot worry about it. They will go away soon.

So points to be monitored are:
1. increase in size of the lymph node
2. increase in number
3. new glands somewhere else.

right now i can assure you that there is nothing to worry.

Let me know if there are any followup queries. Please accept my answer if no queries.

Dr.Mahesh

Follow-up: Swollen lymph nodes with fever, head ache and body aches. Had conjunctivitis. Diagnosis? 1 hour later
I understand the purpose of the lymphatic system, but from what I have gathered the axillary lymph nodes don't swell from common viruses and bacteria such as influenza and the colds. I have no open wounds or cuts on my arms, is it possible for normal colds and flu to cause the axillary nodes to swell?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 5 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for reverting back.

Lymphatic system is interconnected.They form a common channel of transporting lymphatic fluid. Each lymphatic groups connect with each other to form a common channel and drain into a common circulatory system.

Since you had multiple infections, other nodes also might have enlarged to support primary group of nodes to fight infections. Since it is an acute event dont worry much about it. It will surely come down soon.

Dr.Mahesh