Swollen lymph nodes, white coated tongue, skin rashes. Rapid HIV test negative. Chances of wrong test result?

i have been having swollen glands in neck armpits behind my knees (i think), chills white coated tongue I get a rash everytime I shave my legs and I am now getting eye floaters in my eyes. What could this be?! I have had one Oraquick advance rapid hiv test and it was negative. I have only been with one person in the last 12 years. Was the test wrong or is something else wrong?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later

There can be many infectious causes for the symptoms you have mentioned.

HIV of course can be a part of those causes. However, the blood test is most important here. The rapid hiv test is the first test that can be done to confirm the infection. However, false negatives are rare but occasionally seen. The more confirmatory tests are western blot and PCR.

Both are more expensive and only indicated if the rapid test is positive. I dont think that further testing is necessary for you if the rapid hiv test is negative. You can repeat the test after 6 months if you wish.

At present, there could be other causes for swollen lymph nodes. You should get some basic blood tests done and get examined by a physician. Dental hygiene, underlying disorders, fungal infection, irritants like alcohol and tobacco etc can all cause a coated tongue.

You definitely could be having as infection due to the lymph nodes being swollen. Get a cbc, lft, rft and hepatitis test. The rash you get upon shaving your legs isnt related to the this. Neither are the floaters. You will have to consult an eye doctor for that.