Swollen lymph nodes in the armpit, neck and groin area. Not painful. Is it due to the use of caffeine and drug abuse?

Good morning
I have swollen lympnodes in my neck armpit, groin. They dont hurt. Im worried. I drink expresso most days and smoke some pot. Would these two things cause this reaction in the lymphatic system? No night sweats,no fever, no weight loss.
Thanks for your time
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Swelling of the lymph nodes only in one area indicates infection in a place nearing it.
When there is swelling in multiple areas with significant increase in size then a systemic Viral Infection or Blood disorder is to be suspected.There are many diseases which cause lymph node swelling some serious and some not.

As you mention that there is no night sweats and no fever some conditions causing lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) can be partially ruled out like Tuberculosis, Hodgkins disease etc.With no history of weight loss cancers can be partially ruled out.

But to rule out the other different conditions causing the lymphadenopathy and to ascertain the exact cause a test called FNAC of the lymph node is essential.

FNAC (Fine needle aspiration cytology) is a minimally invasive test where material from the affected lymph node is removed with a fine needle and studied under microscope and find out the exact cause of the problem and place you on specific treatment.Hence, its the simplest and most effective way to combat the problem you have.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Swollen lymph nodes in the armpit, neck and groin area. Not painful. Is it due to the use of caffeine and drug abuse? 12 hours later
Hello again
My follow up question is what does it mean when the doctor asked if the lab tech. saw any granuals (may be the wrong spelling) in the marrow sample?
Thanks for your time
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for writing back.

You heard it right.It is the " granules " what the doctor wished to be checked in the marrow sample.

The granules are clumps of cancer blood cells like plasma cells in Multiple Myeloma and sarcoma cells in cancers like Hodgkin's disease or any other lymphoma.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.