Swollen lymph node

Should I get a second opinion? :

Hi Doctor,
30yo male here in very good shape and health. Recently went to my GP because I wanted his opinion on a swollen lymph node (posterior cervical) that has been swollen for at least over a year. I discovered it in Oct of 2010, but it's smaller than 1cm (possibly 8mm) and due to the lack of other symptoms, i've been putting it off. He seems to think that since it's on the smaller side and is soft (not firm), there's not much need for concern. It has not changed size or shape since i've discovered it, but i'm just wondering if I should get a second opinion about it, and see if it should be biopsied. Any thoughts? Your advice is much appreciated!
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later

I agree with your physician that the lymph node is not of concern. The reasons are -

1. Size less than 1 cm
2. Same in size for over a year
3. No other symptoms like fever, weight loss
4. Posterior cervical lymph nodes are often found swollen in many individual

Hence I feel there is no need for second opinion or biopsy.