Swollen lymph node under armpit, redness, painful to lift arm, fever. What can you suggest?

have a single swollen lymph node under my armpit- earlier it was a size of a pea however, has turned fluid-ish, increased in size, there's redness around that area going right uptill mid arm, is moderately painful but burns as I lift my arm. what can you suggest? There was some fever associated with it when it started. Now there's no fever, just this tender swelling under the armpit. Earlier it was a pea sized swelling of the node for a year, but nothing symptomatic; suddenly seems to have turned 'hot' this weekend.
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to Healthcare magic.The painful growing swelling under the armpit is most likely indicates Hidradenitis suppurativa, which is an infection of the subcutaneous tissue and the lymph nodes of the axilla. Other less likely possibilities are tuberculosis, regional skin infection leading to reactive lymph node swelling.You should get a local examination and if there is push collection is may be necessary to drain it under local anesthesia and broad spectrum antibiotics should be prescribed by a local clinician.I hope the answer would be helpful for you.
Follow-up: Swollen lymph node under armpit, redness, painful to lift arm, fever. What can you suggest? 17 minutes later
thanks Dr Ram! could it because of some allergy? am currently in Japan and there seems to be a lot of pollen around. Symptoms to begin with were flu-like. It doesn't look like an infection as the redness isn't that prominent. Next- can I delay visit to a doctor till I return back to India end of the week?

Allergy is universal and can manifest by many ways but this is the least likely way of it's manifestation.If you have real doubts of allergy you can start tablet Levocetirizine 5mg daily at bed time, if due to allergy, you would have a drastic relief but no benefit if infection.It would act as diagnostic as well as therapeutic step in that case.Japan has got good doctors. You can consult a physician there.Wish you a great health.