Swollen lymph node on left side of groin. Having chest infection and cough. Are these symptoms related?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
i have hard, fixed swollen lymph node on left side of my groin. Have had persistent chest infection for over 6months, coughing up clear balls of jelly. Are these symptoms related? My history is F35, heavy smoker (tobacco 10yrs, crystal meth 1.5yrs), low exercise, bad sleep pattern (sometimes less than 4hrs in 3days). Could the lump be cancer? My doc said although she hadn't felt a lymph node like that before, she wasn't worried? How can she be sure! Lump is approx 2cm dia. Thanks.
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
No one can be 100% sure without biopsy,but cancer is the last thing to think of especially in your age since swollen lymph nodes in groin in most cases indicate any kind of infection (uroinfection,respiratory,systemic,intraabdominal,STD,pelvic etc.). Also it can be seen in healthy people. So I suppose this is reactive lymph node due to lung infection. Sometimes it can persist even 1-2 months after the infection is healed but I am sure it will gradually subside in next several weeks.
Malignant lymph nodes would be rubbery,hard, rapidly growing and multiple and larger than 3cm. However, if there is no improvement in next 1-2 weeks I would suggest to do ultrasound and needle biopsy if necessary just to be sure and confirm what I ve said. Also check your wbc,urine, STD, inflammatory markers and hepatitis markers.
Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards