Swollen lymph node on back of neck. Is this serious?

Pediatrician
Question
hi. My 5 year old son has a swollen lymph node on the back of his neck for a year. It is between 1-1.5cm(closer to 1cm). It is extremely mobile which makes it hard to measure. It has not changed in size and does not bother him at all. He is an active 5 year old and is rarely sick. He also had normal blood work 6 months ago. Does this sound like something serious???
Posted Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 14 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

You need not worry for the lymph node if it is not increasing in size. You should worry only if it is increases in size or is painful.

Just for your knowledge lymph nodes, commonly, enlarge following an infection in the draining area. Your son might have had some injury/abrasion in the back of his head or neck which must have enlarged this lymph node.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your son all the best.

RKK

Follow-up: Swollen lymph node on back of neck. Is this serious? 5 minutes later
Even though it has been a year there is no need to worry??

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 16 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

As I mentioned above that you need not worry about it if it is not increasing in size or is painful. Once enlarged a lymph node takes time to subside. On occasions the enlarged node may even persist.

Wishing you and your son all the best.

RKK