Ask a Dentist   »  

Swollen lump on the gum. Cure?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Lump on vey upper gum in red part......I bruised my gum from over brushing was going away but seems to be swollen again......I really bruised them......
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 52 minutes later

Any mechanical trauma to soft tissues like gums does cause bleeding from the minute blood vessels and may result in swelling. But like all wounds they do resolve on their own with time.

Ideally you need to consult a dentist if the bruise persists for more than a week to rule out any superadded infection or gingivitis.

Till then you should,

1 Try to maintain oral hygiene but avoid brushing.
2 You can do warm saline gargles thrice daily
3 You can increase your intake of vitamin c XXXXXXX foods like citrus fruits, leafy vegetables or take vitamin c tablets twice daily to fasten healing.
4 You should use mild toothpaste recommended for sensitive gums and very soft tooth brush.
5 You can use an anaesthetic mouth ulcer gel like xytee gel or as per your doctor’s prescription to
ease the discomfort.

Relax, have patience and they will surely heal.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.