Swollen lips, redness, sun exposure. Vitamin deficiency?

My lips swell an turn red when there exposed to sun for only few minutes.They start to swell and turn red about 24 to 48 hours after exposer.Never had this problem until few years ago.i have always spent lot of time in the sun without any problems but now i avoid the sun.Is this a lack of XXXXXXX vitamin or is there another reason for this?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Vitamins
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Thanks for your query,

Swelling in the lips when exposed to day light could be due to two causes.One , due to exposure to heat and the other due to allergic reaction to the UV rays in the light.

Both conditions can be triggered when there is deficiency of Vit B complex specially Vit B2.Consumption of the same shall reduce the symptoms and prevent recurrences.

Good sources of Vit B2 are mushrooms, and calf liver, spinach, romaine lettuce, asparagus, chard, mustard greens, broccoli, collard greens venison, turnip greens, chicken eggs, yogurt and cow's milk.

Also avoid oil based lipsticks or lip gloss these may worsen the condition.Do consume fruits specially those eaten with the peel and consume XXXXXXX tea instead of the regular one.Do apply Aloe Vera extracts over the lips whenever you get such symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.