Swollen legs with bruise on it, sore to touch, feeling tired and getting night sweats. Any advice?

Hi there,
I'm a 29 year old healthy female from New Zealand. I don't smoke, exercise regularly, I do drink but not excessively and try to live a reasonably healthy lifestyle. I am 166cm tall and weigh 67kg. I carry more weight in my bum and legs, and sometimes retained fluid. Over the past year to year and a half with my lower legs. I bruise easily, and they are very sore to touch with pressure. I play touch rugby and something as small as diving on the ground results in my legs swelling, and an almost cobweb like bruising covering my XXXXXXX and intense pain, even if it was only a small dive (something I would not have flinched an eyelid at in the past). I suffer from quite bad night sweats (however I have had these one and off for as long as I can remember), and feel tired all the time. I was wondering if you had any thoughts on what the problem may be.
Many thanks,

Posted Sun, 27 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 5 hours later

Did you ever had fever whenever the bruises appeared and are sore to touch? Check if there any cuts or cracks on the skin especially at heels? When were the surgeries done on the leg and hip? Did they heal well? Is it eye lid twitching that you talk about?

The cracks are the areas where the epithelial erosion no longer protects. It gives access for the germs to enter the subcutaneous tissue and cause infection.

If the bruises are painful and low to moderate grade fever represents phlebitis. This is inflammation of the superficial veins which are taking away the impure blood from the lower part of the body towards the heart. This is extremely important to check in case of regular exerciser. Probably excessive fluid in the foot is due to improper work of the leg muscles to carry the blood. They need rest and a bit of examination by doctor. If necessary few simple tests too. I recommend Thyroid function, Fasting blood sugar levels, Hemoglobin and urine microscopy, electrolytes.

Your other physical parameters are good. Do not run or work out excessively or when you have sore muscles. Keep hydration up and frequent breaks while sporting.

I will work on your details..