Swollen labia minora, not itchy, painful. Which antibiotics should I take? High yeast count, low blood sugar

hello, I have a swollen labia minora. it is not itchy, but is a bit painful. I have had it before and had some antibiotics and applied fucidin antibiotic cream. I have cleaned the area and applied the cream and am wondering which antibiotics I should take? I am living in thailand and am happy to buy some over the counter. I was also reading that if you have repeat yeast infections you should get a blood sugar test... could you explain why? I have a high yeast count and every time I have a pap smear they tell me I have a yeast infection even though there is no itching or discharge. I treat it with difflucan and probably have around 3 itchy infections a year. I also get low blood sugar and feel very grumpy and unwell if i don't eat regularly. I had a diabetes test a few years ago as I was passing out and it was all fine... any ideas? thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for query.

There could be various reasons for your infection like Bacterial vaginosis, Candidiasis or yeast infection, Trichomonas infection which is a sexually transmitted infection, allergic reactions or chemical irritants like synthetic under wears, tight jeans, prolonged wear of wet swim suit, toilet paper, latex condoms, spermicidal gels etc.

In your case yeast infection looks to be the culprit as you had it on earlier occasions and since it thrives in diabetics you must rule out diabetes.

Consult you gynecologist and get urine culture and vaginal swab done.

I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any further query.

Thanks and best of luck.