Swollen hands and blood vessels in thumbs, pain in back, negative for arthritis and carpel. Any ideas?

i have swelling in my hands and sometimes my blood vessels have blown in my thumbs i have been checked for arthritis and carpel nothing found. i also have had a small ache in my right back kidney area? any ideas
Posted Fri, 7 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 10 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Since swelling in hands can be due to several reasons, I would request you to answer the following questions to allow me to help you better:
a. Does the swelling involve the wrist as well?
b. Is the swelling associated with any pain, fever or redness?
c. Is the swelling worse in the morning or in the evening?
d. Since when do have this issue? Did you have any medication at that time ?
e. Do you have any other symptoms like weight gain, constipation, poor appetite. rash, swelling in feet etc
f. Do you find it difficult to move your fingers?
g. Has any other testing been done?

As far as the pain in the right side of the back is concerned, it could be related ( as it could be coming from the spine and we may be looking at a rarer type of arthritic process here) or unrelated ( it could be coming from a back spasm or a kidney stone)

At this point, I think the first thing you should be doing is correcting your posture, applying hot fomentation, and applying diclofenac gel. If this does not help, we'll need a Xray and an ultrasound to check for stones and spine changes.

Awaiting your reply