Swollen hand, increased heart beat, light headedness.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
24 yr old 5' 1" 145 lbs bp always around 115/70
just finished 35 minutes on treadmill 2-3 minutes jog or run
both hands swelled and tingled
rt hand returned to normal in 1 hour
left hand still swollen 1 hour 50 min late
- in past in hot tob at 104 degrees feels heart beart really hard and fast
- on standing gets light headed for 2 seconds
- or if out mowing lawns without outside temps 90 + heart beats hard and fast on exerting herself
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
The swelling of hands and tingling after an exercise is commonly seen due to peripheral vasodilatation caused by exercise. Usually these symptoms do settle down on their own in few minutes after stopping the exercise.
In a hot tub, due to water loss from the body and sweating, the blood pressure decreases which causes pounding in the heart and dizziness after you get up.
Your symptoms does not seem to be worrisome but it is best to consult your cardiologist for a routine check up and investigations like-
1. Complete blood counts
‎2. ECG in all leads with a rhythm strip in lead 2
3. Lipid profile , Blood sugar (Fasting and Post prandial)
4. Thyroid function tests
5. Chem 14 panel ‎
In case the above tests indicate any abnormality, further tests need to be done which include:- ‎
‎1. Holter monitor
2. Echocardiography
3. Chest Xray
4. Lung function tests
5. Tread mill test

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Swollen hand, increased heart beat, light headedness. 16 hours later
U SAID: Numbness and tingling should stop in a few minutes but rt hand staid puffy 1 hour Left hand puffy about 2 hours - this seems quite long - what possibilities could be indicated from this. Thanks in Advance.

Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The persistent puffiness of the arms could be due to collection of fluid in the arms due to vasodilatation which was slow to go off. Some vascular flow abnormalities might be responsible which can only be diagnosed after investigations like color doppler.
If this has happened only once then it might just be a one time symptom and not indicative of any serious pathology.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Regards.