Ask a Dentist   »  

Swollen gums, sore sub-mandibular lymph nodes, body ache, fever. Should i see a dentist ?

Question
Hi, I don't have insurance and I think I either need to go to the doctor or the dentist but I'd like to go to the right one because I don't have the money for either, much less both. The other day my gum was swollen a little bit in one place. Then I got really sleepy and when I woke up my body felt achy and my submandibular lymph nodes were really sore and tender. For the past 2 days my gums have been swelling in random places and my body has been achy with fever, sore throat, swollen glands and an achy headache. It seems that when my gums are swollen, I feel awful and when I start to feel better, they get smaller. Should I go to a dentist or doctor or is it just viral and I need to wait it out?
Posted Fri, 25 May 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query. From your symptoms, two possibilities should be ruled out. these are:

1)Gingivitis which is an inflammation of the gums.
2) Periodontal disease

Based on your symptoms, it looks like an infection of the gumps resulting in swollen lymph nodes and fever. I suggest you to get it checked from a dentist as he will look for signs of periodontitis using X-rays or periodontal probing.

You need to consult a dentist and get a systemic antibiotic prescribed. Oral hygiene is of great importance in treating and preventing periodontal disease and you should brush twice daily and floss your teeth.

Also try restricting sugar as it is is known to significantly increase plaque accumulation by feeding the bacteria that cause the infection while decreasing white blood cell function. Fresh fruits, and vegetables, whole grains, and fiber should be taken and take plenty of sardines, canned salmon, dark XXXXXXX leafy vegetables (spinach, collards, XXXXXXX turnip greens, mustard mustard greens) broccoli, brazil nuts, tofu and all soy products, sunflower seeds. Also take calcium supplements in diet and change your toothpaste brand and avoid using mouthwashes if your swollen gums are caused by sensitivity to toothpaste or mouthwash.

In addition get tartar removed regularly and use enzymatic agents containing lysozyme, lactoperozidase, glucose oxidase, mutanase, and dextranase. You can also use mouth washes containing chlorhexidine or hydrogen peroxide. You can get them prescribed from your dentist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Follow-up: Swollen gums, sore sub-mandibular lymph nodes, body ache, fever. Should i see a dentist ? 33 minutes later
do you think a walk in doctor will prescribe me antibiotics? i need to not spend much money so i cant afford to have much testing done

Thanks for writing back to me.

You can talk to your primary care physician and get antibiotics prescribed after a primary check up. For the fever, you should also take acetaminophen (tylenol) after consulting your doctor.

If the symptoms persist then it is advisable to get a dental check up done.