Swollen gland and neck, throat swollen in the mornings, nodule. What can it be?

hello. I am a 52 year old male. For about 6 months my glands in my neck have been swollen. I think it is the submaxillary gland, as it is in this area. When I wake in the morning my entire throat area is swollen. As the hours pass the swelling goes down. It is larger on the left side and I can feel an almond sized soft nodule. There is no pain. I have been addicted to pain killers since the surgery. What do you think it is? What should I do?
Posted Wed, 4 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

I have seen pictures attached by you with the query.

The swelling in this cervical region can be caused by inflammation in the submandibular/submaxillary salivary glands and due to lymphadenopathy.

These salivary glands are located on either side, inside the lower jaw and produce most of the nocturnal saliva.

Infection in these glands is generally associated with swelling, pain and fever. This pain can increase during mastication (eating). But in your case pain and fever are not present.

Duration, no pain and almond size soft nodule feeling on palpation can be due to cervical lymphadinitis.

For diagnosis F.N.A.C.(fine needle aspiration cytology) of the soft nodule and T.& D.L.C. with ESR tests are required.

As examination and palpation by doctor is necessary for diagnosis, you should consult an E.N.T.Specialist with these reports, or can upload reports with further query for further advice.

If you have further query in this regard, please feel free to ask.

With good wishes,