Swollen foot, family history of diabetes, taking fluid pill and aspirin, have numbness and itching in foot

My foot is swelling for seemingly no reason, in one foot and it will swell so fast I can see it swelling. It starts at the toes and swells a lot very puffed up all the way above the ankle. this happened the first time yesterday, and now again tonight.
My family has history of diabetes (mother), I have had bood test recently, and was did not have any results of diabetes. I am not taking any medication presently. I was taking a fluid pill, and a low dose asprin daily, but I have not taken either one in a year. I did take asprin today, as I had numbness in the same foot yesterday, which is my left foot. This seems like a circulation problem, as the foot felt like it was itching while it was numb.
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 29 minutes later
This type of sudden swelling can occur for three reasons-
1. Infection, local infection that speads across the fascial sheets very rapidly causing swelling and pain is called a cellulitis.
2. It may be result of venous/lymphatic drain blockage from leg.
3. Lastly it can be an allergic reaction where you would have itching.
In any case you need to see your physician for detailed physical examination and undergo evaluation to pin-point the diagnosis as soon as possible.
I hope the advise would guide you to get a good treatment.