Swollen foot, applied ice, wearing immobilizing boot, non-weight bearing. No breakage. History of torn ligament and ankle surgery

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I rolled my foot yesterday and today saw dr. I have a boot to immobilize it, too hot for a cast. I forgot to ask my dr if I should wear it at night. I'm on nonweightbearing, xrays showed no breakage. Foot extremely swollen and heard it snap when I rolled it coming down stairs. Putting ice 15 mins on 1hour off.... Also wondering if i can use the cooling system that runs water from cooler over the foot. I Tore ligaments and had surgery 9 years ago same ankle with impingement Very similar except foot more swollen this time and much more painful. Giving it a week then check back next week to see if need MRI .
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
If your X-rays show no bone damage then most likely you have suffered a soft tissue injury. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area of fall. Injury to ligaments is also a possibility.
Doing regular cold compress will help in decreasing the swelling. You can use the cooling system too for this.
Avoid weight bearing on the injured foot at all costs.
Keep the foot elevated on two pillows while resting. You can avoid wearing the boot while resting.
Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.