Swollen foot and radiating pain after knee replacement surgery. Done blood work

General Surgeon
i had a knee replacement in Nov 2011, had a fall shortly after. once then and again now I am dealing with a severly swollen foot and radiating pain up to and including my buttox. Seems like the swelling is lasting longer than it did the first time which was over a year ago. My doctor did blood work, what else can I ask for? I had a DVT right after surgery however it was dissolved with medicine. What should I look at
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could be lymphoedema

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting in XXXXXXX

During knee replacement surgery,the lymphatic channels which carry lymph to the lower limb gets damaged/cut and lead to edema of the corresponding limb.It is called lymphoedema.Sometimes,there will be infection of that limb which leads to severe swelling,pain and fever .

It is nice to hear that your DVT has been treated successfully.

The present complaints of swollen foot and radiating pain can be due to lymphoedema with associated infection.

You should ask for Colour Doppler of lower limb to differentiate DVT/Lymphoedema/Infection.

Initially,i prescribe antibiotics like Clindamycin capsules and anti inflammatory medicines to my patients with similar complaints.
Lower limb should be kept elevated.

You can also use Elastic crepe bandage for the lower limb, for additional benefits if there is no infection.

Hope, I answered your query.

If you come back with blood reports and Colour Doppler report, I will clarify further.

Wish you good health.