Swollen foot after being bitten by fire ants. Best thing to do?

Dec 2012

I was bitten by several fire ants yesterday. One of the areas have a fairly large purple (dime sized) hematoma. The top of my foot is getting swollen. I do not feel ill or allergic. What is the best thing to do.?
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later

I do not think you need to feel allergic in order to have an allergy. You might develop local allergic reaction which occurs only on your outer soft tissue.
Nevertheless, several fire ants can bite you and cause a local inflammation which even if allowed without doing anything will clear off on its own.
But if you feel that the area is persisting and swelling/painful, then there might be a serious problem beyond the bite. Infection might have occurred after the bite and you will require doctor to take a closer look and maybe provide you with medication. At home, you may use ice pack or OTC antiinflammation such as ibuprofen or diclofenac.
I suggest that you do the above home care for a day and observe for aggravation, then you may go to the hospital.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah