Swollen feet and legs, weight gain and lack of energy. On statin, atenol and Avapro for cholesterol and BP

All my medical s/sx are drug rx related....swollen feet and legs , sob, fatique weight gain, lack of energy. My cholesterol is 87 taking statins and was LDL183....pulse normally 72, now 59 on atenolol. wt. was 138 now 160,

feel lousy, lazy, tired. On Avapro 150 for mild inc. BP135/87

I looked at my medical problems ....Heart , plus aneurism leak and found my answer...They are probably trying to slow down my body.... but kidney problems are a worry too...slowing down lowers perfusion in the kidneys..
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
All side effects of drugs not described

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concerns about SOB, Weight gain, fatigue and lack of energy. Though these are not described as side effects of statins and atenolol they may join the group of after effects of taking these medicines. In such a case I would suggest you to approach your treating doctor to look for alternatives like ACE inhibitors instead of Beta blockers (Atenolol). We need to try with frequent BP monitoring given you had AA leak in the past.

I was worried about Total Cholesterol (87) being lower than LDL(183). This is unusual. So please look at the reading once again. LDL over 130mg/dl is a high risk. The doctor can look at medicines lowering LDL alone. Bile acid resins and cholesterol absorption inhibitor drugs are an alternative for statins. However please discuss the side effects of these drugs with the doctor before you opt them.

I would be concerned if you have lower urine frequency and quantity (less than 4 times a day and less than 800ml/day) measure it. If yes you should see a Nephrologist. If you presume to have kidney problems by reading information on the internet you may not be right. So leave this worry here. Swollen feet are also represent heart disease esp heart failure.

Go back to your doctor with the above suggestion and options.