Swollen eyes and eyelids, fluid moving to forehead and cheek, used allergy eye drops. What could it be?

my eye swelled up two weeks ago, i thought maybe a bug bite but it wasnt itchy. This morning i woke and eyelid was very swollen. Now the fluid seems to be moving to my forehead and cheek. I used allergy eye drops today. Whatcould it be?
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 3 hours later
I would be pleased to answer your question .

Thanks for the photos. It looks very much like a chronic Angioedema( allergic reaction)

Eye drops will not make any difference for this Allergy as you have swelling in the eyelid tissue and the cheek and forehead area .

You will need to take an anti histamine for this condition for 10 days . The best anti histamine for this Angioedema would be hydroxizine ( atarax) which you can take as a prescription from your Doctor .

Other causes of eyelid swelling like Kidney related issues should also be ruled out . Certain renal function tests can be done for the same by your Doctor .

If you have difficulty in breathing or lip swelling or further eye lid swelling it would be important to visit the Doctor as soon as possible.

Thanks and Take care