Swollen bump under lip, white patch. Suffering from Bulimia nervosa and cold sores. What is it?

hi ive got a lump on my bottom lip its like a pea under my skin its swollen with a white patch and a little bit blue tinge,i suffer from bulima and also often get cold sores but this is not a coldsore,thank you
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 57 minutes later
Hi there.

Thank you for posting your question. I will do my best to help you.

You are correct. This is not a cold-sore. This, in all probability, is mucous cyst or mucocele. It is totally benign and is not something that you need worry about.

These cysts form when the duct of a minor salivary gland become blocked. It should reduce spontaneously in the next few weeks. It should not need surgery to remove. Or certainly, I would not rush at that.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.