Swollen bump on labia minora while masturbating. Is it dangerous? Will it go away on its own?

Question
hi, i'm 28 yrs old, female, not sexually active. about two weeks ago, while i was masturbating i felt a small swollen bump start to form on my labia minora. it hasn't gone away. I think a blood vessel burst. is it XXXXXXX will it go away on it's own.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 51 minutes later

The bumps that you have described which has appeared on the labia minora can be a small cyst of Bartholin’s glands. These can become painful and swollen and an abscess can form. This often causes blockage in the main duct from the gland which forms a cyst which is felt as a painless, hard swelling.

Apply warm compresses and some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap. You can also apply topical antibiotic creams.

However if the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics may be needed. You may have to consult your gynecologist in that case to come to a proper diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.