Swollen breast, no pain, no discharge or redness

Nephrologist
Question
My right breast is a little swollen. It does not hurt there is no discharge or redness. Just a little bigger.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Women Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Hello

Thanks for the query

I need to know more in order to come to a better conclusion.

1. How long since you have noticed this?
2. Is the whole breast bigger or only a part of it?
3. Are you in your periods or are you breast feeding?
4. Is it dull to touch?

Please get back to me with the answers, I am awaiting your reply.

I wish you good health

Follow-up: Swollen breast, no pain, no discharge or redness 8 hours later
I have had it for about 3 weeks. I got it a week before my menstrul cycle and it did not go down after. It just seems to be more swollen on the bottom and it is not dull to the touch. Also I am not breast feeding.

Thanks for replying

It's hard to tell what it could be without a proper examination as history wise i am not getting a lead as to what i might be.
But the most common cause is mastitis but they usually come with certain signs like tenderness, redness and enlarged breasts the other cause is pre menstrual enlargement of breasts.
Single sided breast swelling should not be ignored so please go to the gynaecologist and get yourself examined. A mammogram might be necessary followed by regular blood tests to rule out infection.
No drugs or home remedies are necessary until a diagnosis is made.

I hope I was of some help. Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.

I wish you good health

Follow-up: Swollen breast, no pain, no discharge or redness 1 hour later
Ok could you get matisis without brerast feeding?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 12 minutes later
Thanks for replying

Yes you can get mastitis without breast feeding. Most commonly through cracks in the skin around the nipple infact even men are reported to develop mastitis. Please see a doctor for an examination. It is important that you do so.