Swollen belly button with bleeding. Using antiseptic cream. Treatment?

My belly button bleeding I clean it reguraly I put antiseptic cream on help it belly really swollen round there
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 6 hours later

If you are having bleeding from belly button you might be having a condition called omphalitis,means infection of belly button.

In this conditions you can have pain in belly button,redness,bleeding at times.

Please do the following:
Minimize touching.
Apply antiseptic cream like Polysporin over the area.
Take analgesic like Tylenol for pain 2-3 times in day.
Maintain good local hygiene.

Normally this subside in 2-3 days,if not then please see your intestine can protrude through weak wall of this area and due to stretching the skin can get inflamed and can bleed.In such case you can appreciate a swelling when you stand up or cough in that area.

Do not rub the area.Wear loose cotton clothes and avoid friction due to clothes or anything else.

I hope this answers your query,I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.