Swollen axillary lymph node in the sonogram. Diagnosed with Lupus. Is it dangerous?

I have sle (lupus) a year ago I found my left axillary lymp node to be swollen I was referred to a specialist who did a cat scan the left axillary at that time showed a size of 2.2x1.3cm the right side showed 1.6x2.3cm this year sonogram done shows right axilla 15mm and a larger 3cm node the left axila shows 36x11 mm node what might it be scared
Posted Wed, 30 May 2012 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later

Thanks for your query. I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

A degree of lymphadenopathy is frequently a characteristic of established systemic lupus erythematosus; but it is rarely the primary presenting feature.

There are many causes of lymphadenopathy, like localized infection, possibly somewhere in the arm or breast draining into the glands of the armpit, or infection within the armpit itself. Allergic reaction possibly caused by sulfa drugs, iodine, or penicillin may also be a cause.

It will be great if you mention are you on any drugs, that might be responsible and infection of arm and breast.

The bottom line is these swollen lymphnodes does not seem to be a serious concern but if you are very anxious you can consult surgeon regarding the biopsy of the node and then histopathology of that will conform the diagnosis.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope I have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer